Friday, March 18, 2011

Dunedin!!


I have realized that I am not exactly the best blogger out there. I get a wee bit behind on my posting! Sorry!
The Octagon
I really can’t believe how quickly time is passing here. I’ve been here for over three weeks already – eek! I’ve been living in the vibrant city of Dunedin and I love it!!! Who knew I would really enjoy city life? Don’t get me wrong, I still prefer my small town New England towns full of character, but I love the change of scenery and new experiences. I’ve learned you ACTUALLY need to look both ways when crossing the street, and they really won’t stop for pedestrians.  It’s also really fun to just walk around, getting yourself lost, popping into shops and restaurants and just trying it out. We’ve gone out to dinner the past few weekends and it’s great to just pick up a bottle of wine and walk to one of the many Thai or Indian restaurants. Yum! There are also so many different stores and it’s an incredibly fun place to people watch. Last week I made my first trip to the Octagon in order to catch a bus to Tunnel beach. The center road was identical to the video game “Frogger”. There were speeding alternating lines of cars and a line of busses. We opted not to test our luck and used the crosswalk instead. 


A real-life game of Frogger


Walking to class
It’s been great spending the past few weekends here. Before coming here I planned on leaving every weekend to see New Zealand, but I have found that one of New Zealand’s gems is Dunedin itself! There is so much going on, great food, friendly people and something new to discover every day. The weather is interesting and I’m still getting used to it. One second its 75ยบ and sunny and then a huge cloud comes it, it’s pouring and I’m begging for my sleeping bag. I’ve got to get used to it! It’s only getting colder as winter approaches here and apparently any sort of tolerance I had built up in Canton against the cold seem to be long gone. Any nice day I spend lying outside on the field behind my house, reading some and eating cheese and pineapple… some things never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment